This time around I was looking for something simple but rich and delicious. These cheesecake swirl brownies from Ooh, Look… caught my eye. I’ve converted the ingredients below for a more American and measuring cup prone audience. 🙂
- 1.25 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2.25 sticks (1 cup, 2 tablespoons) butter
- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa
9oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup superfine sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Place chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat, and stir until melted and smooth. Cool slightly
3. Place melted chocolate mixture in a bowl with the brown sugar and eggs. Whisk to combine.
4. Add the flour, baking powder and cocoa and whisk until smooth.
5. Pour into a lightly greased 8x8in pan lined with non-stick paper. Set aside.
6. For the cheesecake swirl: place the cream cheese, caster sugar and eggs into the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Place large spoonfuls of the cheesecake mixture on top of the chocolate mixture and, using a butter knife, swirl to partially combine.
7. Bake for 50 minutes or until set. Cool in the tin before slicing.
I doubled this recipe (made 32) which was sort of a mistake. These were super rich and eating more than one tiny square was a bit of a challenge. Everyone enjoyed them but there were a lot. Honestly I found them too be a bit too dark for my tastes – I might try semisweet chocolate next time. If you like a rich deep chocolate though they’ll be perfect.